Friday 1 April 2011

#16 Learn to Make Corn Tortillas


When I was only a housewife/part time Sales Associate, I used to make a lovely dinner just about every night. I used to have people round for dinner. Sometimes as often as twice a week. Goodness.

Now, my days and nights are filled with amusing Peanut, my gorgeous 10-month-old baby, piles of laundry and omelettes for dinner. Sure, I make the odd something scrumptious from scratch, but most often it's a casserole, muffins or something I can toss all the ingredients together in the slow cooker and set about changing nappies, singing silly songs, and playing peekaboo the rest of the day.

What possessed me to volunteer to make a complete Mexican meal from scratch for a friend tomorrow, I have no idea.

After a very full day of being a mom including one very crabby Peanut at bedtime, I set about the prep work tonight.

Three hours later and we have the beginnings of Cuban style black beans, chicken marinating in the fridge, 16 wonky homemade corn tortillas, a backache, pile of dirty dishes and the first item ticked off my list.

*Having now sampled those tortillas, the above mentioned marinated chicken, and black beans as well as some homemade pico de gallo and guacamole, all I can say is YUM! Not to toot my own horn or anything, but those were the best tacos I have had in a loooong time.

Annette's Super Good Pico De Gallo

3 large tomatoes, roughly diced
2 small red onions, diced
a large bunch of cilantro roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalepeno, minced
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
juice of one lime
splash of balsamic vinegar
splash of vegetable oil

drain the tomatoes in a sieve while you are chopping the rest of the ingredients. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and let it set half an hour. Enjoy!

I have experimented with this recipe a lot. Green onions, different sorts of chilis, bell peppers, I even omitted the tomato and used cucumber instead once. You can't mess it up!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! And like a lot of hard work! I remember when we lived in Israel we'd miss Mexican food so bad we had to make flour tortillas and refried beans from scratch.

    PS I think it's cute you sort of talk like an English person now that you've lived there for so long. I'll have to ask you with help with the jargon if I ever want to include an English character in one of my novels. :o)

    ReplyDelete